Sunday, March 29, 2009

Do you believe in magic?

This is an untouched photo I took a few years ago in our back yard. I bought a poppy plant, mainly because my dad loved them and I had never had one before. The plant was small, without a bud in sight. In a couple weeks, the round buds began to appear and I was excited to see how tall it was becoming. One morning, I looked out my kitchen window and saw something glowing in the backyard. It couldn't be! As I approached, I was awestruck. The sunlight filtering through the rich red petals made the flower glow in an unearthly way I had never seen before in another flower. No one who saw it could believe their eyes. Every year I looked forward to this magical sight, but one fall, I was weeding the little flower island and I moved a few items around. I forgot the poppy, which had died back for the winter. The next spring, I kept waiting for the mass of green leaves to appear, but they did not. I had managed to destroy this amazing plant in one moment of forgetfulness. I have been looking for a similar poppy since then, but have had no luck.
The people in our lives are no less amazing..beautiful, unique. We can never forget the magic they impart, the love they share. I am so grateful for a life full of magic.

5 comments:

Shelli said...

Love your post, mom!
That poppy was amazing, and that picture looks unbelievable! Thanks for sharing it!

Krista said...

Happy, Birthday, Mom! I do believe in magic... thanks to you!

Gramma Spice said...

Shelli, thank you for my new poppy plant! I just put in the ground. You are so thoughtful.

Gramma Spice said...

Shelli, thank you for my new poppy plant! I just put in the ground. You are so thoughtful.

The Patriarch said...

My life is also full of magic. It has various names, but the one I like best is "Deb". I felt that magic from the first letter I received from her some 41+ years ago. And it hasn't stopped!!